Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by deejay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:06 pm

Shann, thank you for your suggestions, but I can't go back to college because 1.) God hasn't told me to (He had to push me really hard the second time; first time it was a suggestion), 2.) I'm not finished paying for the second time, and in fact I've been on deferment longer than I've done payments, and 3.) if I'm in this situation with both an associate's degree and a bachelor's, a master's isn't going to help.

I'm not going to help somebody commit fraud just so I can get an apartment. I had a hard time getting the required paperwork--still can't access my birth certificate, and they want the original, among other documents--and I've learned that in my life, when something doesn't come together, it's God saying--to me, anyway-- that it's not His plan for me. God has His reasons for this, and I just have to hang in there and wait. Not easy, but I have no alternative.

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Glad you're feeling better Pup. Sounds like a nasty infection. Glad you had time to spend with kiddos too.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:36 pm

Waiting for the Eclipse watch come Monday. Me self.... I am kind-of hoping it is foggy that morning. :mrgreen:

Serve all those thousands of peeps coming from all over to see it. There is word of several places that are jammed with people. No gas, motels and camp grounds totally books, stores running out of food, and all that for two minutes of simi-darkness.

Ya, I would love to see it too, but I am not going to travel across the country to do so. And there are some peeps that come from other countries just to watch. Couple thousand for air travel, a few hundred or more for hotel, even more for food. All that for two minutes of strange interest. Then there are the locals buying up stuff before it runs out, even if they don't need it. Just in case.

Humans... they act like they never seen a darkened star before. :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:43 pm

The library here is getting a ton of calls from people asking about their program on the eclipse, but mainly about the availability of eclipse glasses. I got a 2 pack of them from my local 7-Eleven, and though the next eclipse in the U.S. isn't until 2028, they say on the glasses that they're only good for 3 years. So here's hoping for good weather.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 pm

I hope they aren't the fake ones, although it totally boggles my mind that people would risk others health for a few bucks. But I'm with Pup too, I can't imagine driving two days (supposedly I the US you can take a 2 day drive to see the path of totality) I mean I'll probably look out the window and glance in that direction, but I'm not traveling to NC to see it!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Maximum length of totality is in southern Illinois.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:43 pm

SC is best place on East to see it and my son just moved from NC but his in-laws live in a great place in SC to see it so they are there this weekend. Not my idea of fun...
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:08 pm

I was watching it in the parking lot of the library with over 100 other people. The clouds moved out of the way just in time. They also have it live on video in the community room.

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 am

Just read through and got myself updated since I was here last.

Funny how you all mentioned MASH, we've been watching that on tv at night these last few weeks. I love that show. One of my "older" faves.

Not sure I said anything but about a month after Grandpa died (right around his birthday) my great-uncle died. Grandpa and my Uncle were best friends and roommates in college and they married into the same family (Uncle was by marriage, he married my grandmother's sister).

We've had a lot of stuff going on, family drama about Grandpa's memorial service. Don't want to go too into detail but basically it just all stinks. Lots of unneeded stress and hate, to be honest.

Also my Best friend had a health issue a little while ago and was in the hospital for over a week... we really believe she was knocking on deaths door. Also my Aunt had health problems and too was knocking on deaths door. They both are doing better now though.

Ah.. life.

:roll: :cry:
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Glad to see you pop in Becky! I'm sorry about the troubles. Life can be tough sometimes for sure. Hugs.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Post by deejay » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:26 pm

I just got an email from my cousin Angel (dad's side) that her brother Johnny passed away. He was a really cool guy. I haven't seen him since I was a kid, but the obit had a photo. He may have gone bald, but he was still handsome!

*sigh* More family dropping like flies. What if I'm the last?

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:02 am

You wont be the last one, that's my job. :roll:

It always seems to me that every year some one I know passes away, and it is always the one I have gotten to know well. Then bang. No more friend. Maybe I should stop making friends. :(
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Post by Shann » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:27 am

Ahh Puppers, hugs
Shann

Shann's Profile

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Hello! Thought I'd pop in...

So my house is a little over 2 miles from where the path of totality was. My brother and I drove about 30 minutes, to get further into the path. I watch the eclipse (and saw totality! So amazing!) while reading "Apollo 13" and I was wearing my "Star Quest" musical t-shirt. NASA Geek Trifecta.

Sorry to hear about your family member, DeeJay. And actually, the next eclipse in the US is in 2024. For that one the path of totality runs through my college town (again... this past one did too!) which is right next to Carbondale, IL, the city everyone talks about being in the path of both. I like to counter with, "Hey, there are other cities in both paths, too!" Ha! Anyway, assuming my general situation is about the same as it is now, I plan to drive the two hours to my college town and experience the 2024 eclipse too. I also read that as long as they are the ISO certified glasses that they should be fine for more than 3 years, so long as they aren't damaged. However, at a few dollars per pair, I'm not taking any chances and will just get a new pair!

Also, I've been wondering how you've been doing in general, DeeJay. Are you looking for a job now, so that it doesn't become an urgent situation later, like it did this last time?
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Allison
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by Allison » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Just so you all know, because I know some of you don't venture out from this board, but Shann is in the hospital again with a shingles flare-up. :( http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... =6&t=41907
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Return to “The Water Cooler”